Here you can see a selection of your comments, ideas and pictures – made at activities and events, in person on your doorstep, or in our questionnaire. Confidentiality: we will not print your name or address
A few of the many comments from the Ideas Exhibition
Improvements to streets and open spaces:
- Good to have a mixed market (under Westway), with a bit of food and goods, not just posh food
- I don’t agree with a market and fixed stalls etc under the Westway, there’s too much pollution there for food
- If you put in a building (under Westway) make it for local people. It needs to be needed. Workshops e.g. short courses/adult education
- They have taken away lots of benches (Westbourne Green Open Space), the elderly need somewhere to sit
- Leave the two open spaces. People need room to stroll, meet and just be!
- I like the idea of a ‘pocket park’ (on Bourne Terrace), but how can you mix parking and children playing?
- Shared road space (on Bourne Terrace) is not sensible, not safe with old people, school kids
- We’d like hanging baskets in Westbourne Terrace Road
- You need to avoid making areas where children can group, pinch points
- Canal entrances (at Harrow Road bridge) need improving, so that’s a good idea
- Why not put a café where ‘the pit’ is (beside Oldbury House). I’d use it.
- There’s always loads of people outside the fish and chip shop. Good idea to have space to eat and hang out without cars running close by
- I like the idea of residents gardens (Lapworth Court, Atherstone Court, Dartington House) with separate areas for children to play... they would be overlooked from their homes
Homes and community facilities:
- Moving the community centre is ok because nothing happens there
- I don’t like the plan to move the community centre and nursery as I will overlook them, I like the green space
- I Would like to see a real community centre hub that can support community services and activities like ‘open age’
- They just want to commercialise the area, it doesn’t need developing
- It’s good to try and provide more homes, if you focus on Harrow Road
- In principle I support the development of flats and can see there is a need for them
- You have to prioritise social housing
- Will there be car parking facilities for the increase in population?
- No more people… its unfair to impose further over-crowding
- Look after the community shops, they’re good for the basics.
- We need a post office!
- We need a better mix of shops.
- A café at the entrance to Westbourne Green is an ok idea
- New housing should be a similar height as the existing ones
- I love being in the low-rise as every entrance has only 8 flats, so you can communicate with your neighbours. Don’t change that.
- I’m not happy about losing garages. There’s a waiting list, and they’re not kept repaired.
Places that could be better:
- Football Pitch in Brindley needs a fence and improvements. Some kids being picked on and don’t feel secure
- Brindley Estate has lost its play area; there’s loads of dog poo and some anti-social behaviour
- Fence in the hard area in the park, by Edward Wilson, so kids can play on it without balls hitting little ones in the playground
- Basket Ball courts are too enclosed - not overlooked and are unsafe
- Cycle route along the canal is dangerous. It runs out and isn’t properly marked, so pedestrians and cyclists get confused
- Put cameras along Bourne Terrace
- Shop fronts along the Harrow Road (Westbourne end) look shabby and run down – these need improvement. The range of products sold along the stretch also needs to better cater for all tastes.
- The area needs a good size supermarket or general store. It could also host a post office and bank inside for convenience (people suffered from the loss of the local post office a few years ago).
- Housing Office needs to be more local. It’s too far away
- Warwick Community Centre very important for community activities and meetings
- We need more girls clubs, with sports activities for girls between 11-16, to encourage a more healthy lifestyle
- Let children play football in the middle of Westbourne Green Open Space
- We need somewhere for 2-8 yr olds to play
- Not enough playgrounds
- Improve the shops
- Don’t touch the park and green spaces!
- Keep Warwick Community Centre open
- No building on the green spaces
- I think that there should be more green area
- Vagrancy, opposite Westminster Academy. Local children don’t like
- Size of living space is important (people need more space to live in)
- No loss of open space
Send us your views
If you would like to contact us, or have any ideas, questions or comments on the proposals, write your message below.